Don't hesitate to comment . . .  we'd love to hear from you!

Friday, April 9, 2010

My baby's growing up

Well, yesterday was a big day. I took Sarah, my second child, my 5 yr old, to go and register for kindergarten. She was so excited --she thought she was starting school today! She can't wait to go to elementary school. Although, she DID lament that she would miss some things about Preschool. Like what? I asked. She said, her teacher, and the toys and making crafts. It was cute.

But it wasn't cute, yesterday, when, while I was registering Sarah at the school, Kimball was running around like a crazy kid, raiding their little candy jar multiple times, escaping the registration room and wandering into classrooms, crawling under ladies feet who were sitting at the desk. Oh, that boy is something else. I have to say that Kimball will sorely miss having Sarah around next year. She is a good little playmate, and a good helper to me too. Man, why do kids have to grow up??

So, in honor of Sarah turning 5 recently, and growing up, I will write a little more about her.

  1. Sarah is silly. She can get slap happy pretty easily. Especially when she is tired. She loves to laugh.
  2. Sarah has an obsession with keeping her bed made - with the blanket perfectly straight. If someone sits on her bed - she freaks out, because you've just wrinkled the covers on top.
  3. Sarah also likes to have her "things" in her room arranged in a particular way. We had to go so far as to put a child safety thingy on the doorknob to her room, so Kimball couldn't get in, unnoticed, and mess up her stuff.
  4. Sarah LOVES to organize. Are you sensing a theme here? She's my slightly OCD child.
  5. Her favorite food is "a cheeseburger with 5 extra pickles." That in and of itself is a major reward for her. I can get her to do just about anything if I promise her one in return.
  6. Her favorite fruit is watermelon. She LOVES watermelon.
  7. She loves to comfort Kimball when he's sad. She'll always go over and hug him if he's crying.
  8. Sarah likes to help clean. She helps me with loading and unloading the washing machine and dryer. Yesterday, she wanted to help Daddy scrub the floors. She likes to organize our cupboard full of "kid" bowls, plates, and cups. And she unloads the dishwasher and, of course, organizes what she puts away.
  9. Sarah's favorite colors are purple and pink.
  10. She loves her long hair. She will NOT let me cut it and cries when we get it trimmed.
  11. Sarah is learning to play the piano, and loves to practice (yeah, me!).
  12. Sarah will rarely smile with her teeth showing. She has learned, for some reason, to smile with closed lips. (see pictures below.)
  13. She loves to play with (real) babies & little kids. She is constantly asking me when we are going to have another baby . . . .
Well, I'm sure there's lots more to tell about her, but that's a good list for now.

Love you, big girl. I think you are beautiful.
Below are some pictures taken of Sarah at a local park, a few weeks ago.
Enjoy!




6 comments:

Karen said...

Wow a clean and organized child. I'm jealous and can't imagine it. How great to have such a wonderful helper. Which park are you at?

Julia said...

Sarah, I love watermelon, too!! Good for you! :-)

Heather said...

Wow, your kids are growing up. Some days I can't wait until my kids are school age, but most days I think they are growing up too fast too. Woe is me!

Kath said...

My Ella went to Kindergarden roundup yesterday. Time flies. I remember when you had Sarah before you rudely moved away to KC. I think they could have been great friends. (tear)

Rebecca said...

Jeremiah loves his preschool too and so he's actually going to do that in the morning and kindergarten in the afternoon--only the preschool will be his academic experience and kindergarten will be the craft/play time. I can't believe our kids are kindergarten age. I remember Sarah leading a wailing Jeremiah down to nursery. These posts make me miss you all!

Tonia said...

Have Sarah hang at our house this summer. I need some of that OCD to rub off on any one of my kids!