Well, school started on Monday. Allison started 2nd grade and Sarah started Kindergarten. Sarah couldn't have been more excited.
The preparation for Sarah starting school began at the onset of the summer. Allison would give her a blow by blow account of what to expect during a typical day. I'd reinforce it with things that Sarah could no longer do once she started school . . . . like: burp, fart, use "potty language," throw fits when she gets mad, cry like a baby, get up and walk around when she's supposed to be sitting down eating lunch, being impatient and demanding things . . . You know, stuff like that. Stuff I've been telling her for a looooong time, but that has never seemed to go away. School is going to do WONDERS for Sarah!!! hee hee.
Monday morning, the girls woke up early, got dressed and did all their morning chores (like brushing hair & teeth, practicing piano, getting their bags packed, etc) and were ready to go. I think we were at the bus stop 10 minutes early. I even had a moment of panic that we somehow had missed the bus, because no one was out there. But we were just seriously early.
We made it a family affair at the bus stop. Kimball, Matt and I were all there. We took pictures, talked to the other neighbor kids (once they got there), looked at new backpacks, shoes & haircuts.
When the bus arrived, I snapped my last few shots of the girls getting on the bus . . . and they took off. No one even shed a tear. Not Sarah, and not me. I think that I was finally ready for school to begin, and Sarah was too excited to finally start kindergarten. Well, no one shed tears, except Kimball. He cried and cried that he couldn't get on the bus too! Poor guy.
We tried to console him by telling him we were going to go to the school to see Sarah in her new class, but it took him a while to calm down.
Now that we're on day 4 of the first week of school, it's old hat for him now. This morning he didn't even want to walk to the bus stop. He just stayed back and watched Curious George on tv. (a first . . . he usually really loves the bus stop.)
It's really weird to only have 1 child at home. In a way, it's alot harder for me, because his built-in playmates are all gone. It's just me and Kimball ("Bubs"). So today, I've already played "animals," cars & tractors, laid in my bed together while he ate popcorn and I thought I was going to puke everywhere, worked on puzzles, and now we're playing baby dolls. I figured Kimball could use some pretend play on how to be nice and soft to babies. No harm in that, right? Kimball was eager to feed the baby (doll) a bottle and food. But he didn't get the pretend part, and made me get a bowl of real cereal to feed the babies. (he ended up eating all himself in the end). He likes to hold the baby and then when he gets done with that, he just throws the baby on the floor. But it's still cute. :)
So, from now until February, this is how it's going to be. Then we're in for a BIG change. I hope he adjusts quickly. But I have a feeling it's going to be ugly.
Typical picture of Kimball getting the chips (a diet staple for him),
if the pantry isn't locked.
Here's a bunch of pictures from the First Day of School:
The three kids walking to the bus stop together . . . so cute!
Allison & Sarah . Cute Sisters.
(Allison ran through someone's sprinklers on the way to the
bus stop . . . nice.
Kimball can't help but want a few pics taken of him.
He's wearing his favorite shirt: Curious George. So fitting for his personality.
Allison (left) waving good-bye.
Helping put on her name tag . . .
One last picture together
Before we left the school, I snuck over to Allison's class
to get a picture of her with her new teacher, Mrs Hansen. She's so nice!

5 comments:
Catherine - I love this!!!!!!! What a family milestone. Like those new Bubs glasses.
love, Lorene
Everyone so grown up! What a big day!
Such fun pictures!!! They are getting so big!
Love the pics of the kids getting on the bus. They look so small!
Kimball has u all to himself, he is a monkey climbing up the pantry.
Allison and Sarah are such cute girls. I like all the school picts.
Post a Comment