Don't hesitate to comment . . .  we'd love to hear from you!

Monday, November 10, 2008

New calling at church

Well, here's the big announcement . . . .

My new calling at church is Primary President!!! (if you don't know what that means, click here)

After a week of struggling to come up with names for my counselors, I managed to figure it out and now we're off and running.  I'm quite out of the loop when it comes to Primary -- besides a recent 4 month stint in Nursery, I haven't been in Primary since I was a primary child myself!! (let's see how many more times I can use the word "primary" in this post, shall we?)

Anyway, I AM excited, but also nervous and a little overwhelmed.    Any tips/words of wisdom are very welcome!!!

11 comments:

m and a said...

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll do great. I have two friends that were called as primary president yesterday! (on opposite sides of the country) The only advice I have, is what you already know, just follow the spirit and you can't go wrong!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! You will do great!!

Amber said...

Yeah! I was in the primary presidency in Texas and it really was fun!

Lori said...

Congratulations! You will love it.

Rebecca said...

So here is my unsolicited advice from one new president to another. This past weekend we held our first activity. Since the theme was gratitude we did different stations. A cookie turkey station, missionary writing station, turkey hand station, followed by relays and a turkey pinata. All items made went to parents, missionaries and primary teachers.

We had the VAL 11 class help us organize the letter writing station and run it so they could pass off one of their requirements for their Faith in God award. (You'll soon be familiar with this)

Anyway, the kids loved the activities, but here is my advice. (Long over due) Get your teachers to come if you are doing any type of stations. We really needed their help. We asked them to come, only one did, and we could have used all of them to help with the activities, relays and just to monitor the kids.

I decided (actually we all agreed) we wouldn't do a station activity again unless we had commitments from teachers.

In general, if you have a large number of active children, you're going to want the teachers there for ANY quarterly activity. It is hard to run, keep order, etc when you've got 30-50 kids ages 3-11 all wanting to do their own things.

So advice: Get teachers to help!

Sorry I didn't just say that from the get-go.

Sam Ransom said...

WOW!! Congrads!! I'm scared of any calling with the word President involved! I know you will be great though! Hmm advice...I've never been in the Presidency, but I have been in Primary as Sunbeam teacher and Choristor. I think just try to prepare yourself for how much you will love the kids. It is hard, but so rewarding. The kids will love you and amaze you with their strong testimonies and simple faith.

Oh and they love anything called a "game." If you say you are doing a game they will be excited to participate. It can be the lamest game ever, but they get excited when they think they are going to "play." So just know the gospel is fun!

Heather said...

Yea! I'm the 1st counselor in the Primary presidency, and I absolutely love it. Any time you can incorporate a "game," you'll have the kids' attention the entire time. Good luck! You'll be fantastic.

Kath said...

Catherine,I got your call yesterday and tried to call you back. Your phone wouldn't let me leave a message. By the way, you'll do a great job. It is sooooo much fun. I've been in almost a year and am starting to feel comfortable.

Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine
Congrats on your new calling. You will do great. I have some news too! I am having girl #2!!! I am due April 14th. We are excited. Found out last tuesday. This way I don't feel like I am starting all over again, just a little. Anyway, hope all is well. Kylee

Amy & Mark said...

Can't think of anyone who would do a better job and so far you're doing an amazing job! I'm glad that my kids will get to benefit from your service!

Shauna said...

WOW.. you will be great! I loved being in primary!! Just always have some tylenol in your bag of tricks!