I got my first handwritten letter from Allison a few days ago. Wanna know what she wrote? She spelled out (the best she could), "You're ruining my life." Isn't that lovely? I don't know whether I'm saddened that she thinks/thought that, or if I'm happy that I could actually read what she was trying to spell. It's a mixed bag. But mostly, I wonder where she came up with that? I mean, come on, "you're RUINING my life" ??!! That's pretty serious coming from a "pre-K" five-and-a-half-year-old.
Here's another thing that Allison's up to: Lately, she's been in this crying phase. She cries over EVERYTHING. A true crybaby. I mean, she just lets the tears flow over the tiniest little thing and it's very annoying. I have no idea where this came from or why it has started NOW. I'd tend to write it off as a sign that she's tired. She usually cries more when she's tired, but she isn't getting any less sleep than normal, and Allison is a GOOD sleeper. Has anyone else experienced this with their daughter(s)? Is this normal??
One more: Allison has night terrors frequently. I talked to my pediatrician about this. Apparently, she's having night terrors, not nightmares. She doesn't wake up crying from a bad dream, realizing it was just that . . . Instead, she "wakes up" (not fully, of course) being completely irrational, incomprehensible, and has no idea what she's doing. Sometimes she's crying, and sometimes she babbling about something that makes no sense. Usually, she's upset in some way but she never gets out of bed or sleep walks or anything like that. She remembers nothing of these the next day. I used to go in her room, concerned, and would try to talk to her and console her. But now I just go in her room when it happens, and tell her (sternly) to lie down and go back to sleep. Occasionally, I make her get up and go the to bathroom, thinking that maybe this is why she is waking up, and she doesn't realize she needs to go. Some nights it happens repeatedly, and I have also noticed that it happens alot when Matt is out of town . . . (of course). Is this weird or what?
So, any thoughts on my emotional 5 year old? Anyone had any similar experiences? I'd love to hear about it
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I'm glad we have three boys.
Umm, need I remind you of the drama you witnessed from my daughter?!!
We don't have the tears, but we have the "Woah is me, can you believe someone is touching my stuff?" melodramatics.
As for the note, I got one too awhile back, different message, not even directed at me, but surprisingly negative. It is a new form of communication for them, maybe they feel uncertain about verbalizing frustration but are willing to write it out.
I just tried to use it as a way to have a good talk about how life, school, etc was going.
So I'd say it is all normal, but if you get a steady influx of negative notes, you might have a heart to heart. I doubt you'll get very many. More likely you'll start getting the hand written invitations to her sleep overs, tea parties, etc w/ all her stuffed friends.
--Rebecca
MURDERER OF LOVE!!! Judging by your next blog you should understand that comment. If not let me know!
James said to let you know Sariah cries a lot too, so it is just a girl thing! ;)
I do think that women have wacked hormones from the beginning so it really isn't our fault.
Cat
We had the same with Annemarie with the night terrors. If the come at about the same time, go in about 15-30 minutes before she normally has them and wake her up so that she will recognize you and then let her go back to sleep. We would do this for about 2 weeks and then she would be ok for a while.
Mike
Mike says that the quote "You are ruining my life" is from one of the Disney shows. He can't remember which one, but they say it all the time.
We don't have the night terrors to often, but Haley has night time leg cramps that she cries and screams to the point that I am sure someone is going to report us for child abuse.
Haley cries over everything - it is so frustrating. She is so emotional and the littlest thing hurts her feelings and you think that the world is coming to an end.
I just glad to hear that someone else has the same DRAMA that we have in the McAtee household :)
Post a Comment