Don't hesitate to comment . . .  we'd love to hear from you!

Monday, August 4, 2008

Afternoon @ Surfside Beach


Since Matt has every other Friday off from work, we decided to go to the beach last Friday.  One of the closest beaches to us is Surfside Beach, about an hour drive from our house.   It wasn't an especially beautiful beach with crystal clear water or white sand, but it was still fun.

After being there for a while, we discovered that we were slightly ill-prepared . . . Allison didn't have any sandals, we didn't have any shade, no fun floaties to use in the ocean  . . .  but we bought a few things down there (for a premium price, unfortunately) and had a good time.  

As soon as we picked a place to park the car (on the beach - that was cool), everyone got out and headed straight for the water.  This was our kids' first time seeing the ocean.  It was fun to watch their faces light up with excitement.  Allison's especially.  All that water!!! 



After their clothes got all wet, it was time to put on the swimming suits and really get in.



Poor Kimball just hung out in his carseat at first, while I took pictures of everyone.  He was pretty happily entertained, actually, just watching everyone play for a while.  (which was good -- it's hard to have a crawling 10 month old at the beach.) 



Matt bought a skimboard, which was "entertaining" to watch.  
Allison thought she'd give it a go, but it was a little big for her.



Sarah was pretty timid in the water the whole time.  
She would only go in if one of us was holding her hand.



Eventually, we brought out the sand shovels and cups (we WERE smart enough to bring those) to make castles with.  Allison and Sarah liked collecting sea shells to put on top of their creations. (see below)


Allison's "Sea Shell Mountain"



After a while, we realized that the "cabana's" that the beach's website described were definitely inadequate for providing shade, so I went to the nearby surf shop and found an umbrella to help us out.  


We also got a fun raft for the kids to use in the ocean, and provided a place for Kimball to get out of the stroller and play.




6 comments:

Colette said...

So fun! I love the beach! I also got a HUGE laugh at the bird post - that's a classic!

Unknown said...

I miss the beach. I love to go to the beach with little kids especially...they love the water and the sand. Is the water warm there?

Kiera said...

The Beach... now there is one good thing about leaving us all behind.

Kelley said...

Hi Catherine. I'm impressed, we've been here 3 years and I haven't even been to Surfside yet.
We moved here from Florida, so I guess I just haven't been in a hurry for the same reason you commented. I think I'm about ready now! We're so glad you guys moved here!

Heather said...

What a fun day. I haven't looked at your blog for a while, so I had some catching up to do. I cracked up about the bird story, and you did an awesome job with your anniversary blog. I hope you guys are well and happy, but we miss you here!

Kiera said...

Hey where are you!?!?! I check on you everyday and nothing has changed for days!