Don't hesitate to comment . . .  we'd love to hear from you!

Monday, October 20, 2008

News about Kimball

For the past year, Kimball has been constantly suffering from ear infections and a gross, goopey right eye. Well, now he is finally going to get tubes in his ears, and at the same time, will be getting his clogged tear duct probed.  Yeah!!!  All I have to say is finally!!!  And that's not all . . . while at the pediatric opthalmologist, I was told that Kimball needs glasses due to "a fairly significant astigmatism"  he has in the right eye.  That's right . . . Kimball is near-sighted and will soon be wearing glasses.  I had no idea that Kimball had any trouble with his vision before we went to the eye doctor (for his tear duct), but was told that it was a blessing that his clogged tear duct brought us in, because the astigmatism was caught early.  Many times, parents have no idea that their children have any visual problems until they're in school -- which is when they complain that they can't see the board.  However, when it isn't caught  until that late, the child has often already developed amblyopia, or a lazy eye, which requires even more intervention.  There's a great website I found that talks about "babies with glasses that gave alot of good info about young kids and vision and glasses, etc., if you want to look.  

After being told that Kimball's distance vision was poor, I then recognized the only sign that could have given me a clue about his vision . . . how close he sits to the tv.  I just thought that he really liked being close!!!  (shame on me for not picking up on this.)  Oh well.  Anyway, look how cute he is just sitting here, watching his Baby Einstein movie.  He LOVES it and will sit just like this during the whole 30 minutes!


Anyway, now all I have to do is figure out what color to order for Kimball's frames. I've taken a few pictures of baby/toddler boys wearing brown, clear, green, and blue glasses from a website to help me decide which one looks the cutest.  Which would you choose?  I'd have to say that if I were to pick any child who looks the closest to Kimball in age and looks right now, it'd be the 2nd kid wearing brown glasses.  

Let me know what you think . . .  do I choose bold? or go less conspicuous?







8 comments:

Sam Ransom said...

I say go bold!! I like the blue ones! I bet he is going to be soooo cute! Good thing you found out! Who would have known!

Kiera said...

So I am all about the statement! It will not be long before he wants to be involved in chosing his glasses so this time choose whatever YOU want!

Clarissa and Darrin said...

I must say I think they are all cute but I think my fav is also the blue. No matter what he will look cute in anything.

Clarissa and Darrin said...

I LOVE the picture of him sitting close to the tv, that is just so adorable. He is so small sitting there, I love it!

Marilyn said...

I have noticed that when I wear dark rims, I feel more like I'm in a cage. Clear or no rims (which for a child are probably not practical) seem much more open because they are much less noticeable to me. When I'm playing with the orchestra, having to look over dark rims is a real pain and I can't stand thick ones. That's a grandmother's perspective. Regardless, I think practical outweighs cute. :) (I have not read the other comments)

Melanie said...

I like the clear/white or brown ones. You might get sick of the blue and they aren't too cheap to change! I'm so glad you were able to find out about Kimball's eyes and get it taken care of early.

Unknown said...

My vote is for the clear/white ones. Especially on blondie, the dark will stand out too much maybe. But for a bang of color I like the lighter/aqua blue ones.

The Wehrmeister's said...

I like the clear/white ones.

Good luck on the tear duct probe. We just had one done on Preston and it has been wonderful!