Don't hesitate to comment . . .  we'd love to hear from you!

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Sleep Walking?

Last night, I went upstairs to get something and saw someone in the "kids" bathroom.  No surprise -- it was Allison.  She was unclothed, and was eating toothpaste.  This was about 10pm. When I asked her what she was doing, she went rambling on about nothing that made any sense.  

This has been happening off and on now for a few months.  At first, I thought  she was pulling my leg and "acting" weird/silly, because she got caught being out of bed.  But Matt and I have realized that she really doesn't know what she's doing, and she has no recollection of it the next day.  

Has anyone had kids of their own who have done this?  What's the deal?  Why is this happening? Is something wrong? What can we do?

I read up a little bit about it online and it said that sleep walking can be triggered by stress, and is hereditary.  Well, I don't know anyone who's related to ME that's had this problem, but I don't know about Matt's family.  As far as the stress goes, Allison recently started Kindergarten, and we've moved in the past 3 months.  

Dan?  Katharine? Throw me a bone, here.  

Any comments/help are appreciated.  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I was a terrible sleep walker when I was little. I think my parents sort of shrugged it off unless I was heading out the door. Generally my walking happenend before midnight so they would usually hear me and know I was up. I think once I got into a deep enough sleep I was okay. Maybe you could put a monitor in her room?

Rebecca said...

Claire sometimes sleepwalks, but not on a regular basis. If I'm still awake I just put her back to bed. Still, it sort of startles me at times. Claire almost always sleep talks/screams/babbles.

I asked my pediatrician about it--you know that saying don't wake them up. He said that was bogus. Waking them up was fine, actually good so they don't hurt themselves. But sometimes it is just easier to just usher them back to bed.

I can tell you if you try to wake her up, be prepared for her to be totally confused and not remember anything--even maybe thinking you got her out of bed.

I did read that antihistamines can sometimes contribute to sleepwalking. Is Allison taking anything for allergies?

And I know (because I have family that slept walked) that they can do all sorts of "weird" things when walking. So being undressed and eating toothpaste would fall into the "normal" range of sleep walking activities.

Good luck with your little sleepwalker. Thankfully it almost always happens in the first 1/3 of sleep so hopefully you'll be awake already because I can tell you it can be really freaky when it happens after you have gone to bed.

Kath said...

Colby sleep walks and talks on occasion and has no idea the next day. I would just make sure you have you front and back doors locked so she can't get outside!!! Dan says it is very common but eating that much toothpaste can't be good for her. Also he thinks your ped doc is wack. No one year needs a tb test unless he is going out of country or has been out of the country. Maybe being that close to Mexico is why.

Kiera said...

Funny you should bring this up. Just last night I was up late. I was in the kitchen when lo and behold there was Ammon. I asked him what he was doing and he did not reply but continued walking. It was not until he pulled down his pants and aimed for my box of blankets. Yea Yea he was gunna pee right there in my clean blanket box. I quickly stopped him and rushed to the bathroom. He did not say a word to me the whole time... after he went to the bathroom he went right back up to his bed. It was pretty funny really!
If you need a new doctor for the kids we saw a pretty crazy one with Noah... Oh wait she wanted me to pump and try to nurse my ADOPTED baby... hmmmmm... maybe we went to the same place...

Sam Ransom said...

I did a little sleep walking as a kid. Usually it was when I was in a new environment. So it might just take her longer to get used to the new house. I did try to go outside once- at least that is what I told them. That I was looking for my shoes so I could go outside. So I would definately check your locks. But most likely it isn't a big deal. Just creeps you out.

Unknown said...

Okay...so you've been tagged on my blog!