Don't hesitate to comment . . .  we'd love to hear from you!

Friday, August 28, 2009

Melting Pot

There are several things that are hard to adjust to - living here in Houston.

But one thing I LIKE about it is that I meet people who are from all over the world. Rarely have I met anyone who is actually FROM here - and grew up here. It's weird.

But anyway, today I went to a GREAT park, which is about 20 minutes from my house. While our kids played together, I met and chatted with a very nice lady who moved here a year ago. She's from Scotland (Loved her accent and the words she used to speak!!) and said that her family will be here for 2 years - for her husband's job (in the oil business, of course -- like most people around here -- except US, that is). Anyway, she said next year they'll move back to where her family lives now, which is on the BALTIC SEA!

Baltic Sea?! What? I thought. I'll admit, my geography is horrible, so I came home and looked it up. here's a picture . . .

As far as I can tell, Scottland is no where near the Baltic Sea. She said that her husband's job moves them around a bit and although she VERY much misses her family, she get's to "puddle jump" (as she put it) across the world and explore new places.

Wow. That's pretty cool, I thought, as I listened to her. She was such a nice lady and fun to talk to, and seemed to be such a great Mother to her kids and was a very "normal" person for being a "foreigner."

I had a great time hanging out with her!! I hope I see her there again.

3 comments:

Tonia said...

Ben told me when he got home from work that you had called. Dang. Today would have been a good park day. Maybe I wouldn't have gotten after my kids so much! Sounds like you had fun. Let me know in the future, our Fridays are 'make up' days for stuff we didn't finish the rest of the week and usually pretty flexible!

patpoyfair said...

So how bout we have the next Craner family reunion on the shores of the Baltic Sea? I think we could pull it off.

Callie said...

What are you trying to say, foreigners aren't normal? :)