Don't hesitate to comment . . .  we'd love to hear from you!

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Day 1, Part 2: Secret Beach, Secret Lava Pools


After the Helicopter tour, we went and explored the North Shore.  Using our trusty guidebook, we knew right where we wanted to go first: Secret Beach.  



This is one of the most picturesque beaches that we saw during our entire stay.  Unfortunately, it was the first beach we went to, so we didn't fully appreciate its beauty until later. Consequently, we also didn't get many (good) pictures of it.  Too bad.  To get to this beach, you have to climb down a fairly steep trail about a mile long.  It's access just isn't very easy. Because of this, not many people go here -- hence the name. I'd say we were 2 of only 6 people on the whole beach.

At this time of year, the surf is really starting to swell on the North Shore, and so we couldn't swim at most of the beaches we explored this day.  










However . . . . 500 yards down Secret Beach, were the Secret Lava Pools!  Here, the lava flow created "pockets" where the waves can reach and fill up -- creating perfect little pools to safely swim in and enjoy the beauty around you.



2 comments:

Clarissa and Darrin said...

This beach looks gorgeous. I wish I hid myself in your suitcase. I hope Darrin can take me on our 10th anniversary! You two deserved the trip. I am glad you had a good time.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you got this experience. It looks so beautiful there. I enjoy the pics. Are you back to reality in Texas, yet? HOpe you can post some more about the trip when you get time. Kylee