Don't hesitate to comment . . .  we'd love to hear from you!

Monday, September 1, 2008

First day of Kindergarten!!


This post is a little late in coming, but better late than never they say.

Allison has started kindergarten.  She is soooooo happy.  While I'm a little more reserved about it than she is, I'm happy that she enjoys it so much already.  I wasn't exactly worried about her . . . Allison's very outgoing, fun, confident, and makes friends easily.  So I knew she'd be fine.  I'm somewhat sad that she's  gone soooooo long . . . the bus picks her up at 7:42 AM and she gets home at 4PM.  That's a long day and a long time to be away from home.  However, she has surprised me and hasn't seemed too incredibly tired when she gets back.  She falls asleep quicker now at bedtime, and sleeps deeper, but I was anticipating her to come "dragging in" everyday - which hasn't happened.

When I asked Allison if she wanted me to drive her to school and take her into her class on the first day, she said "No, I want to ride the bus." (She's so independent, darn her!)  So, I compromised, "What if you ride the bus to school and I meet you there and walk you into class?" Begrudgingly, she agreed.  Too bad that that that plan turned out to be a little anticlimactic.  By the time I got to her school, found a place to park, got the other 2 kids out of the car & in the stroller, and got into the school (fighting crowds of people the whole way) Allison was already in her class, sitting at her desk, playing with playdough!  *sigh*  That was frustrating, and sad that she didn't need me after all, but at least I got a picture of us on her first day.  That's every Mom's right, I believe.   

Just for the record, I know I post way too many pictures, but I can't help myself . . . this IS my first child starting school . . .

Getting ready to go . . .


walking to the bus stop . . .


a picture with Daddy at the bus stop


a picture of me at the bus stop!!


Here it comes!


Getting on the bus


She's on her way


Allison and her teacher, Ms. Young (appropriate name)


Me and Allison in her classroom. 
(note Sarah in the background . . . she thinks she's there to play!)

6 comments:

m and a said...

She looks so grown up. It happens so fast. I think I'm going to be a mess when Brennen starts schol next year. Just watching his frinds who started Kindergarden this year get on the bus made my eyes water. I know he's looking forward to it though.

Unknown said...

Those pictures are precious! It's so hard to let them go...and I don't think it gets any easier each year...then it's oh wow, I have a first grader...then it's oh wow I have a senior! You watch, someday you'll see it happen and wonder where on earth the time went!

Clarissa and Darrin said...

I bet it is exciting to have her go off to school. I can picture her being such a big girl. So opposite of me. I would pretend to be sick everyday so I could go home and play with mom. Knowing me I will cry when Colby leaves for his first day of school.

Amber said...

YEah! You held it together well! or did you? I can't believe this will be Darcy next year!

Marilyn said...

We grandmothers LOVE the pictures and your comments. We can't get enough of either!!!
Maybe now you understand why I take and send so many pictures to you! Ha!

I'm also delighted you are having such a good time being a mother :) Your comments surely bring back wonderful memories for me.

Rebecca said...

It's hard letting them go. Especially all day. I liked your thoughts on Allison's independence. I too have felt a twinge of sadness as my kids learn things and don't need me anymore--except to put them in time out. (: Yet of course I'm happy for them, and encourage the independence. She's a beautiful, intelligent girl and will thrive at school I bet.