Don't hesitate to comment . . .  we'd love to hear from you!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Getting ready for Ike

Well, we are busily preparing for Hurricane Ike to hit.  It has been exhausting.  We live an hour from the coast, but in Katy we are still expecting up to 100 mph winds, 4-8 inches of rain and no power for . . . well, who knows how long. I'm hoping it won't be for more than a few days. (can you even imagine?  No A/C for a few DAYS!!! We still have 90+ degree weather here!!!) We've purchased lots of water, re-filled our water barrels (those of you who helped us move know what I'm talkin' about . . .),  bought lots of bread, milk, batteries, ice, non-perishable foods and now we're doing all the laundry and stowing things from the yard into the garage. We're NOT boarding up the windows, but who knows . . . maybe we should.  Hopefully if a window breaks, our Landlord will get over here quickly to fix it (yeah, right).  

In addition to all of this, I have tried to "ready the house" for Matt's parents to come, AND pack for our trip.  Remember? We're SUPPOSED to be going to Kauai on Sunday and Matt's parents are coming to stay with our kids while we're gone for a week.  That is, if we can still get out of here on Sunday.  Already, Houston (Hobby) airport is closing down at 9am tomorrow (Friday) morning and will stay closed until further notice.  Yeah, we're supposed to fly out of Houston Hobby airport.  Can you say, BITTER?  That's an understatement.  On top of all of that,  if we CAN get on a flight Sunday afternoon like we're supposed to, Matt's parents won't even make it into Houston until Sunday NIGHT -- because they've already been delayed that long.  So now, I have to make contingency plans for the care of my kids, until Matt's parents get here -- and who knows, we still may not have POWER then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Ok.  I'm trying to calm down.  It's only that I've looked forward to this trip for, what, almost a year?  Anyway . . . . 

I am trying to focus on one thing at a time.  #1 - prepare for Hurricane. #2 - survive Hurricane.  #3 - recover from Hurricane.  #4 - take kids to neighbor's house while my in-laws are enroute to our house. #5 - drive to airport and hope our plane takes off to Kauai. #6 - try not to worry about where the kids are, how they are doing, if our house has electricity or not, and if Matt's parents can figure out how to manage in a strange house with 3 grandchildren, since I won't be able to give them any instructions in person (remember I'll already be gone before they get here). #7 - have a good time in Kauai. 

That about covers it.

Oh, one more thing . . . as you listen to the news, we live IN Harris County -- where some zip codes are under a Mandatory evacuation (not ours however - we live in 77450).  Right now, as of this evening  (Thursday), the eye of the hurricane is projected to pass right over Katy as it moves inland.  Nice.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

You're right...that is pretty stressful. What rotten timing for a hurricane!!! Just keep telling yourself what a great time you will have in Kauai...when you finally get there.

Anonymous said...

Catherine, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. Please try to keep your blog updated as best you can - I hope everything goes just fine. Vicki

Catherine said...

I will. IF we lose power, the only way I can update this blog is from my cell phone, and only by writing in the comments section. So look there . . .

Unknown said...

Your family is in my prayers today. Please keep in touch as best you can.

Anonymous said...

Catherine I have been worried about you...I think you will be fine in Katy for the Hurricane..mostly I am worried that you will make it on your trip. When we lived there, TS Allyson hit, but not a hurricane. Luckily Katy is in a pretty good spot and I saw that they didn't close KISD, so maybe that's a good sign? Please let us know how you are. Love, Melissa

Catherine said...

Actually, KISD (the school district) IS closed today. As are all non-essential businesses in Katy. So, I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog from the Ritter B's. Hope everything turns out well. I am suppose to fly out of Houston on Tuesday to go to Africa for a mission trip and even though that's much further out than your flight, I'm worried too. Good luck and have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Catherine--I will be praying for your family's safety but more for you and Matt to be able to get out of town for your needed week of R&R. Love ya and you will be in my prayers!--Beth

Anonymous said...

Catherine!!! I have been thinking about you all day. I read your blog and know how excited you are to go to Hawaii. I hope everything works out for you to go. Mostly, I hope your family is all safe. I bet you are stressed, I know I would be crazy right now. But it will get better. I will pray for you. Take care, Kylee