Don't hesitate to comment . . .  we'd love to hear from you!

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

update

Ok.  Here's the dreaded update.  Dreaded, because there's so much to say, but I'm so tired. However, I want to write before I forget even more of what I wanted to post here.  So, here goes . . .

1. We left Kansas City, MO on June 25th and arrived at our rental house in Katy Texas on June 26th.  It was tiring and long, but I must admit that the kids did pretty well in the cars.  Thanks to Grandma and Grandpa Craner for helping us finish up at the house in KC and drive out to Texas with us.  It was a big help.

2. Our rental house is . . . well, a rental.  We, or rather I should say, I don't feel especially comfortable here (in this house).  It's a fine enough place, but I feel like I'm living in someone else's house, not mine.  It feels weird, temporary, and thus I don't have a huge desire to unpack.  Instead of unpacking like I should be, I finished reading "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer over the past few days.  It was much better than facing the unpacking.

3. I think that we've only had 2  people even come see the KC house we are trying to sell. It's been on the market now for 2 weeks.  They say that the most abundant "activity" (buyers coming to look) occurs in the first 4 weeks.  THis is not a good start by any stretch of the imagination.  Not Happy about it.

4. Today was the first time I ventured out of the rental house on my own.  "Why?" do you ask? Because today I discovered fraudulent activity with my US Bank Checking account.  I looked online at my account today, only to find 3 checks that had cleared in the past 24 hours-- all written by someone else.  Somehow, someone got my bank account #, and routing # and made their own checks with their name and address on them and have been using them!!!!!  (why US Bank would clear a check when the name and signature on the check doesn't match the account is BEYOND ME.)  I was a little freaked out to put it mildly.  If this fraudulent person has my banking info, what else does he have?? So, as you can imagine, today has been a horrible day and I'm very tired, and I'm not happy with US Bank, and I've been on the phone all day long trying to rectify as much of it as possible and prevent any further fraudulent activity. Right now, my account with US Bank has been closed, and I have no access to any cash or writing checks for at least a week.  Nice.  Just what you want when you moved only 4 days ago.

5. Matt started his first full week at his new job with Sysco (food distributors) yesterday.  So far, he likes it.  He's excited about this new job and I'm excited for him.  

6. There is a serious infestation of ants at this rental house.  Ants everywhere 
inside and out.  So far, Sarah and I have been bitten.  Not pleasant.  I think they are fire ants.  Even more unpleasant. We called the landlord, and have sprayed inside and out with various products from Lowes, but it may require a professional to come out.  Now, I feel like something is constantly on me or biting me.

7. We've had a breakthrough!!  With Kimball's teeth, I mean.  His bottom 2 teeth have finally erupted!  Kimball used to love "kissing mommy" on the face with his mouth open wide, but now Mommy is scared because she's been bitten a few times.  Unintentionally, I hope.  I think it was a love bite?  Nonetheless, Kimball is growing fast, he's 9 months and he's soooo strong!  Right before we moved, Matt took him to our pediatrician for an ear infection, and she couldn't PRY Kimball's mouth open to look in his mouth and down his throat!  She said he's the strongest baby she's ever seen.  I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but, now, picture me trying to change this kid's diaper when he doesn't want it done!!!! (which is basically all the time now.) It's very challenging  . . . almost impossible.  Ahhhh, little boys . . .

8.  We went to our new church ward (congregation) last Sunday and had a good experience.  Looks like in the past year, they've had several new "younger families" move in.  So there's a fair amount of kids that are the same ages as mine.  A few families with 3 kids all the exact same ages as mine.  Weird.  But cool.  I'm looking forward to getting to know people.

9.  We have already taken the family to the neighborhood pool twice since we've been in Katy.  (Another way to delay the unpacking process.)  It's been hot here, but not as bad as I imagined it would be.  I'm sure it'll get worse, but who cares.  We'll either go to the pool or stay indoors. Oh, and I fear that we live FAR FAR TOO CLOSE to a Sonic.  With it being so hot here, and my thirst so strong, who can resist a nice refreshing drink from the "ultimate drink place" as they call themselves.  Ice cream is going to hurt our pocketbook as well, I think, while we live here.

10. Ok.  I know this is too long, and so I'll end.  But thanks for reading to the end!  Someday, I'll post some pictures.  Ok, ok . . .   I'll take the time to do it now (another excuse to not unpack) . . . but I don't have any pics taken of the rental house yet to show  you.  NOt that motivated yet.  (see pics below)

Miss you all from KC!!

9 month old "baby Kimball" posing on our front lawn in Kansas City 
just days before we left.  
He's since had a haircut, so he looks a little better now.



Matt let his beard grow while he was off from work 
for the 2 weeks before we moved.  
He wanted to take pictures of it before he shaved it off . . .



Eating Ice Cream after a nice swim in our new neighborhood pool in Texas. 



Even Kimball got to enjoy the treat. 



And trust me, he DID enjoy it!
Love, Catherine 

8 comments:

Amber said...

Yeah! I'm glad you made it and things seem to be going okay! I know what you mean about not wanting to unpack. Hate that part. Post pics of the house!! I miss Texas, But this is home for us. We miss you guys!

Vicki said...

I'm glad you posted I have been anxiously awaiting news from the Craner's. Enjoy the summertime and the kids because before you know it they will be in school. As far as the unpacking goes, just unpack one box a day and then you won't feel guilty. Moving is hard (believe me I know.) Goodluck!!!

Anonymous said...

Catherine
Thanks for updating us!!! It sounds like you are just rolling with the punches with a great attitude. There is no way I would be that calm with ants. I remember in E'ville at our first house we had tons of ants and I HATED it!!! Will you email me your address? I need to send you a wedding announcement! I don't know if you are going to Utah soon, but Scott my brother is getting married Aug 9th and I will be there the 8-11th. Email me when you come up for air and we will catch up!! Great to see you safe in Texas--wonderful pics! Love ya, Beth

m and a said...

I would rather read than unpack too..or do anything else. I suppose you could just unpack as you need things, then if you're not there too long y'll have less to pack again. Hope everything works out with the bank, that sucks, weird that they would print their name and address. The pool sounds nice, and keep enjoying that ice cream.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the news. So sorry about the ants, the fraud, the heat, the rental home, etc.
Glad you arrived safely, that you are all together and basically in good health! Sounds like the ward is promising :) Maybe you wait a couple of years to tell them you a nurse! Is camp over yet in that ward? :) :)
Do they have bricks, I mean "concretes" at Sonic? Looking forward to a visit "down there." Love, Mother

Clarissa and Darrin said...

Wow, it's been crazy for you the last few weeks. Send pict's of the house and the area you live in!!! I am excited to see what Texas is like.

McAtee Family said...

Yeah!! Glad you made it safely. It is helps, just think about the fact that we moved into our house 7 months ago and I still have 17 boxes in the basement that I have not even taken the tape of off yet.

I hope you LOVE Texas - it is one of my all time favorite places!! I will admit that I am jealous!

Unknown said...

Miss you already! I just got home from my trip and was glad to see your update!